Sunday 27 May 2012

Shopping at Harrods

We have lived an hour away from London for over 3 years and have traveled there many times but this was the first time we made it to the famous department store Harrods!  We have heard a lot about this store and wanted to see what the fuss was all about.

Outside the store the windows outside the street were deck out for the Queens Jubilee

The famous Egyptian escalator the goes up 5 floors

The ceiling above the escalator

Harrods Mascot

My daughter fell in love with the Harrods Dragon and willing purchased it with her allowance money

Anyone want a Harrods bath duck--yes there are some tacky items for sale there in the Harrods gift shop!
 As a family we walked thru the store but certain areas were by appt only.  I am sure you have to prove you can afford to buy something in those areas.  So we made our way to the Harrods gift store, (along with all the other tourists) the only part of the store where we could afford anything:), but even that area was expensive.  I did find a couple of things on sale to bring home cause you have to leave the store carrying the famous Harrods green shopper bag:)!

I wonder if I should be insulted that the clerk didn't ask me if I had a Harrods card like he did for the person in front of me:)!  I guess I don't look like the kind of person who has a Harrods card, LOL!!!

The Diana and Dodi memorial erected by Dodi's father Mohamed Al-Fayed who used to own the store until 2010.  The pyramid holds the wine glass that is smeared with Diana's lip stick from her last meal in Paris before the fatal car accident.  Anyone besides me who thinks that is a little sick....

The supposed engagement ring Dodi purchased to give to Diana was also cased in the glass pyramid

In a different part of the store is this statue of Dodi and Diana with the caption "Innocent Victims"  Dodi and Diana are dancing on the beach and the Albatross flying above them symbolizes the holy spirit.



 It is here where my husband wants me to point out that I made him visit these items, he wanted no part of it, LOL!!!
Outside the store with our purchases. 

We walked away with 4 green Harrods bags:)  I am thinking of saving them but my hubby thinks that is ridiculous:)!


5 comments:

  1. When I saw the title of your post, I thought, "Whooo-eee! Aren't we moving up in the world!?!?" I hadn't realized that people go there to visit and that it has a gift shop. The memorial is a bit much, it seems, somewhat. Then again, I was raised on Diana. I was in England the year she and Prince Charles were married and there was so much stuff about the wedding, everywhere. Then in high school, a lot of us had our hair styled like Diana. Why doesn't Mohamed Al-Fayed own the store anymore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was raised on Diana too and still love her, my hubby on the4 other hand thinks she was a ding bat:) Any way Al-Fayed has never been well liked here and really pushed to discover if there was a murder conspiracy of Diana and his son. Never any proof. I think he just wanted to get away from here or maybe he was pushed to leave. Not really sure :)

      Delete
  2. I love Harrod's. Always a fun place to visit when we are in England. I always love looking at the displays in the windows and seeing what cakes the bakery has done! Thanks for sharing. I have an English themed blog; would love you to swing by! stopping by from NOBH! ~~Katie from Brighton Park

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie
      I already follow you and your adventures of homesteading and trips to Paris. Which we still haven't been too but it is on my never ending list:)

      Delete
  3. Put a little stuffing in those bags and tie with a ribbon. I'd put one on my desk and smile with the memory. What a sweet dragon. Maybe someday I'll visit Harolds!

    ReplyDelete