Friday 31 August 2012

Robin Hood Festival

We have been in England going on 4 years now and haven't made it to Sherwood forest.  My kids have read the stories of Robin Hood but every time a festival was happening we were out of town.  Just recently we went to the famous forest and had a great day seeing where Robin hood lived.

Lots of fun activities being held
What Sherwood forest looks like:)  Lots of Oak trees, ferns and stinging nettles.

My Robin Hood and Lady Marion

Statue of the famous fight between Little John and Robin Hood

There was a small museum there telling the history of Sherwood forest and debating whether Robin Hood was real or a myth:)


Lots of re en actors walking around the park
Lots of silly shows to watch

Juggling act

The famous Oak tree that supposedly Robin Hood and his Merry Man hid in.  We read that Oak trees can live up to 600 years.

Tons of fun games for the kids to play


Princess was excited that she was picked to play Robin hood in a play where the kids re enacted the story of the silver arrow
We also saw falconry and jousting, but I have no pictures as my camera battery died.  We had a lovely day out,  pretending to be living the life of Robin Hood and his band of Merry Men.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! How seriously fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sherwood Forest is actually one place that I have been to! We went there when I was 12 (22 years ago). It was the one thing my brother picked out to do while we were in England. I wasn't really into Robin Hood much, so maybe I don't remember it properly, but as I remember it, it pretty much just a forest then. It had a sign that gave some info, but we certainly didn't see any shows or anything. Looks like it is a fun place to go to now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like fun!! I know a few Robin Hood fans that would LOVE to go here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be us!!!! My kids would be in heaven!

      Delete
  4. Sherwood Forest is a lovely place at any time, but the Robin Hood Festival is very much the highlight for those of us that perform there!
    Glad to hear you enjoyed it - it's on for a week every August for anyone who's interested.
    'Friar Tuck'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You continue to amaze me. I wish I was one of your children and could go and see and feel the many wonderful adventures that you all have.
    Blessings and hugs!
    Besides I love the Robin Hood stories and movies.

    ReplyDelete