Friday 18 January 2013

speed review


Julie from Highhill Homeschool ask me to do a review on the Math game she created.  The game is a skip counting game called SPEED!  The game includes 8 deck of cards for the numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.

It comes in a lovely box and 8 decks of cards, it is very well packaged and the cards are well made.

The game's purpose is to help teach child to skip count by a given number for example playing 2 speed has the children count up or down by 2's only.  The three speed deck has the children  skip counting by 3's only, and so on.


The first time I opened this box Little Man spent over an hour playing with the cards, he wanted to do all the levels.  He loved the fast pace of this game...however what I love about this game is a short fast paced game.  On average one game takes less than 5 minutes.
 This game is played by two players and the above picture shows the set up of the game. The deck is shuffled and each player gets half a deck.  The 2 cards in the center are the starting cards.  The four cards on the side lines are the first cards played for each player.  As you get rid of cards you add more cards from your deck.



This is a speed game so once you begin both side begin to play the cards and the first to get rid of all the cards win
So looking at the starting cards there is a 8 and a 10 (top card) and my playing cards (bottom) are 20, 2, 4, 6.  I have to see if any of my cards can be placed on top of the start cards.....skip counting by twos

 I added a 6, 4 and 2 on top of the 8 card, if I had the cards I could have skip counted in the other direction 10,12,14



This pile of cards started with  20 so you can skip count back down to 2, 4, 6 or in this case it went 20, 2, back to 20 then 18, 16...remember the other person is playing to so they might lay down a card that goes in a different direction then you want to go.

If the center cards are the same the players shouts SPEED, the player not quick enough to shout speed has to pick up all the cards and keep playing.  This may seem simple but when you are trying to keep track of the cards you are playing it is easy to miss this.  I often overlooked this and my kids loved shouting SPEED:) and then seeing me pick up the cards:)

Even Princess joined in the fun once she saw how much fun Little Man was having.

Right after we got the decks of cards Julie and her husband came out with a App for this game on iPad for only .99.  You can download the lite version for free for the 2 speed deck.  I have to say I am addicted to the game as it is played with four levels and the speed of playing by the computer is faster at each level.  I am determined to beat the Legend speed for every card deck but so far I am only up to the Ace level.  My son and daughter has enjoyed both versions of the same game so much they ask to play it every day prior to their math lessons as warm up exercise.

You can find the Math game Speed on Amazon or in the App store on the iPad.  Julie has even more great posts about this game including a video which you can find on her
blog --  here


5 comments:

  1. I am going to Amazon right now and adding this to my cart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! I hope your kids like it as much as mine do:)

      Delete
  2. Neat. I had heard of these cards before, and I've played speed with my own homemade version, but I've never seen pictures of the cards. The App looks neat too - I'll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a game we need to add to the iPad. My kids love all the educational apps and we often gather around to play them together! Thanks for sharing over at NOBH!

    ReplyDelete