Friday 26 April 2013

Eiffel Tower Trip

The kids really wanted to go to the very top of the Eiffel Tower and we had been warned to buy our tickets well in advance as the line to buy tickets on site can be up to several hours.  We bought our tickets in January.

Kids were thrilled to see a double decker subway car:)  It is the little things that enthrall children.

Pickpockets are every where in Paris, as we saw signs, heard announcements and were warned by hotel staff to be careful with our personal belongings.  

Walking up to the Eiffel tower there is a park nearby which was full of street vendors,   food vendors and activities for small children


There are 1165 steps to the Eiffel Tower--my crazy kids were actually disappointed they couldn't climb to the top because we had bought elevator tickets

There was a sign saying that up until 1987 the elevators were  manned by man, can you imagine


The first time This went passed me I thought a real person was on the outside of the elevator:)!!


Riding the elevator

This is the view from the first elevator stop about half way up.  There is a two story deck for viewing.  While there is wiring around the bottom deck it was quite large and there were many signs telling people not to drop anything from the tower.


Next stop the Summit.  Daddy bailed on us at this point (he is not a fan of heights) so the kids and I ventured to the top on our own:)


View of Paris from the top

Again there were two decks at the top this time one deck was surrounded by windows:)  They also served champagne for a price if you wanted to toast the city
Gustave Eiffel, built a small apartment at the top of the tower and he often hosted small private  receptions.   We weren't able to go into the apartment only look though small viewing windows.  The place was cramped and had a steel beam support in the middle of the room:)
The tower was used for many scientific experiment over the years.

When the Eiffel Tower was built it was originally bright RED and most Parisians hated it.  It was scheduled to be demolished 
I had to take a picture of the Evacuation Plan which was basically find the stairs and climb down.  the Eiffel tower has  at least one evacuation per year due to bomb threats.  In fact 3 days after we were there the tower was evacuated because of a bomb threat.  I am very thankful that didn't happen while the kids and I were up there.


If you have children you know they often announce they have to use the toilet at the most inopportune time.  Mine made this announcement the second they walked off the elevator on the top level and the line to return to the bottom had a  25 minutes waiting time:(.    I was so relieved to see they had a toilet available although I did wonder how they managed it.  Moments like these are so funny....


I love this shot of the tower from the bottom.

We had a wonderful visit and it made the Children's day to say they went to the top of the Eiffel Tower.  However next time they visit, they both have informed me they will take the stairs...:)











10 comments:

  1. OMG! I'm getting sweaty palms just looking at those photos! I would have high-tailed out of there with your hubby (actually I would have been shoving him out of my way so I could get out of there even faster)! I don't think of myself as having a fear of heights, but I think that would be too much for me. Not to mention, hours to buy tickets, tickets for the elevator, and the mere chance that I might have evacuate down the stairs!?!?! Could you imagine if there was a true, visible emergency? People shoving to get down all the stairs first? Though, if I were a Parisian, watching the tourists evacuate would be kind of funny! Did the elevator guys have to ride on the outside of the elevator?!?!? The potty question is a good one! Where does the water go? Maybe they're like planes??? I LOVE your photo from the ground! Could you imagine having parties up on top of the building? It might be worth dealing with the heights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stepped off the elevator, took one look, and went into full "Rain Man" mode!

      Delete
    2. Now that's a funny picture the Parisians watching the tourist evacuate:-) LOL.

      Delete
  2. I forgot to mention that I had no idea it was originally red. I can imagine that the Parisians hated it. Kind of like how many Seattlites feel about EMP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW!! Brilliant photos. The children and I would love to go but I'm not sure I'd get any of my four or husband up that high. And if you decided it was too high, a 25 minute wait to come down might be too much! I'm really tempted now though......thank you for sharing Paris with us x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny - you had the exact same thought we did (In fact it was a whole topic of conversation for half an hour) where does the stuff you flush on the Eiffel tower go to????????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why our families get on so well we find the same this amusing,LOL :-)

      Delete
  5. Wow, gorgeous shots!!

    Terrific post. You guys look like you had the time of your lives!

    Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to show my kids. (Shhh, they're still sleeping and I;m trying to get things done!)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am enjoying your adventure to Paris. Although I will probably not every get there; I would love to. I of course would go to the Eiffel Tower but would not walk the stairs. The pictures were awesome. I am afraid of heights too; but I am OK as long as I don't look down or I am too close to the edge.
    Thanks for this trip; hugs!

    ReplyDelete